Clerks do general office work that assists professional personnel and management. Clerks work for a variety of businesses, organizations, institutions, government departments, provincial administrations, and local authorities.
There are different categories of clerks who perform a wide range of clerical duties:
- personnel clerks work with all kinds of staff matters giving advice and helping staff solve their problems
- committee clerks render supporting services to management to prepare, integrate, formulate and publish management resolutions with regard to policy and procedure
- financial clerks keep records of financial matters
- registry clerks sort incoming mail, register it and direct it to the officials concerned
Clerks do routine office work such as filing and perform other clerical duties in libraries, embassies, government departments and post offices.
- various businesses, organisations and institutions
- government departments
- provincial administrations and local authorities